Lily has said some funny things lately. Yesterday, when we were trying to get her to eat her dinner, I told her she could either eat the green food or the yellow food (collard greens or sweet potatoes with sausage and pineapple). She gazed mournfully at both dishes, then looked at me and sadly responded, "But I really like pink."
Shortly thereafter, Adam temporarily confiscated her stuffed cat, Bobbie. While he was trying to explain that she could have Bobbie back after she ate some dinner, Lily was ignoring him and talking to Bobbie. She lamented, "I'm very sorry Bobbie but your life is ruined."
When talking about her toys, she frequently describes their circumstances as "comfortable" or "uncomfortable." Only she pronounced it, "cump-tah-bow". Lily is almost always dressed in a Cinderella or Aurora princess dress, with her heart crown on her head, and often a pink gauze blanket around her neck as a "cape". She then runs around jumping off things and declaring, "Lily to the rescue!" Today when I asked her to come let me brush her teeth, she said matter-of-factly, "But Mommy, I am doing my princess jumps." She likes "exocizes" and is perfectly content to watch entire 2-hour-long ballets on youtube. When I asked her if she wanted to enroll in a ballet class, she rolled her eyes and said with attitude, "Mommy, I already know how to dance ballet."
Lily is also surprisingly good at coloring in the lines. She only scribbles when she's upset. She does, however, like to color over the same area so many times with her markers that the page becomes saturated and tears. And then she cries. She is also really good at puzzles, and can count objects fairly reliably now.
Lily's best friend Molly spends time at our house almost every day, and Molly is very into Ninja Turtles. So the other day I found them both wearing princess dresses, crowns, colored Ninja turtle bandanas, and carrying toy swords. They asked me to turn on Frozen music, and then ran to the "sewer" (the space between our couches) and proceeded to sing "Let it go" while pretending to hit Shredder (the villain from Ninja Turtles) with their swords.
Lily apparently LOVES primary! I was nervous about the transition to Sunbeams at church, but she has done great. Today I watched her from the window during singing time, and she was captivated, with alternating expressions of glee, surprise, enthusiasm, and giggling. At one point, even though none of the other kids thought the song was particularly entertaining, Lily kept laughing until she made the primary chorister laugh.
Joshua is so adorable, and (of course) so different from Lily! He is all muscle and no fat. He is so little, it makes me laugh every time I change his clothes! But he is very strong and active. He climbs all over everything and crawls with one knee and one foot. He goes so fast that he looks like a galloping monkey. He also LOVES the bathtub. He can splash continually for 10 minutes. One day, Lily was in the tub and Josh pulled himself up to the edge. Lily started splashing water in his face, and I thought he was crying. But then I realized he was laughing hysterically! He loved being splashed in the face, and stood laughing continuously for several minutes, while Lily soaked him and the whole bathroom.
Joshua loves playing with toys and crawling around so much that he won't let me read to him. I read to Lily all the time when she was his age, but if I attempt to read to Joshua, he tries to eat the book and cries when I don't let him. He still wakes up about 3 times each night. I think he's just so little that he really is hungry. We are trying to teach him to sleep better, but not having much luck.
Josh loves the pictures of my mom and Jesus that are taped above Lily's bed and he frequently climbs up there and tries to pull them off. He has very nice, thick, even blonde hair (unlike Lily's, which was uneven and sparse until she was 2). Their smiles are so similar and they love to hug and climb on each other. He has the best little giggle, and everybody loves making him laugh.
They are so much fun and they are growing up so fast! Good thing I know every stage is even more fun than the one that came before. (Although I'm not going to lie, I can wait a little longer for Josh to become a toddler!)
No comments:
Post a Comment