I have decided to start a reading list. Since leaving my coworkers and our book club, I have not been reading as much as I used to. So I decided to combine the top 10 best novels from a number of different lists and include those which were included on multiple lists (I removed the ones I have read already). Here is my final list:
A Tale of Two Cities
Anna Karenina
The Great Gatsby
Catch-22
The Catcher in the Rye
1984
Atlas Shrugged
Have you read any of these? Do you think I should (or should not) read them? I don't like depressing books, and I have heard that Anna Karenina is a tragedy; do you think I should take it off my list?
Also: Lolita was one of the most common titles among the Best Novels lists I looked at. However, after doing some quick research on the subject matter, I was thoroughly mortified at its content and removed it from my list, convinced that it would be very far from an uplifting read, and would probably be seriously disturbing. Does anyone know why this book is so famous??
Thanks for your feedback!
I have read Great Gatsby and I think the last third is better than the first two-thirds. Can't put my finger on why, but it's true.
ReplyDeleteI'd recommend taking Catch-22 off your list. It has a LOT of swearing and has a lot of army guys wishing they were with women/getting with women in there. Actually, they swear a lot because they're in the army. And if you don't mind mild swearing, I'll just explain the point a little more by saying they don't hold back on the F word (to say the least).
The Catcher in the Rye I would say is not worth your time. And if you don't like tragedy, most of those books are going to be hard. I would actually recommend a whole slew of different books. But I would be interested in what you have to say about whichever you decide to read.
ReplyDeleteAs to why some books are so famous, that is a question I have been asking for years. I have gotten many answers, most of which do not satisfy. I think a lot of people are not looking for an uplifting read. In fact, for a while I thought that if a book was uplifting, it was dismissed as "not classic material." :)
Wow. I have thoughts tumbling over themselves in my head trying to get out, but I don't have time to put them all down right now. It would be fun to discuss books with you again!
Thank you for your advice! Since I trust your judgment much more than general readers or literary societies, I will alter my list. The three I really want to read are A Tale of Two Cities, 1984, and Atlas Shrugged. The rest can go. I would love to know your recommendations for other books to add!
ReplyDeleteHi Christina! Congrats on your sweet baby, and it's fun to see your blog to see what your family is up to.
ReplyDelete1984 is perhaps one of the more disturbing books I have read. I guess it depends on the person. There are some fairly detailed torture scenes and --no happy ending here-- nothing is resolved to my satisfaction. It's a pretty well known book, so it's up to you.
Some of my favorite classics lately: Uncle Tom's Cabin and Ivanhoe. Also, lately I like the author Chiam Potok (writes stories about Hasidic Jewish people). The Promise is an excellent read. Good luck, and let us know what great books you come accross!
Thanks for the advice Shelly! I have actually read about half of 1984, so it's more like I feel like I should finish it, although I know it's not a happy ending.
ReplyDeleteI have read The Chosen by Chaim Potok (very good!), but not The Promise. I have always wanted to read Uncle Tom's Cabin, so thanks for the reminder, and I love the movie Ivanhoe; I don't know why I have never read the book. Too bad we moved away from everyone! It would be fun to read all these books and discuss them with you in person!
Well in case you are all wondering, I canned the idea of having a reading list and just started a book club in my ward. We are reading A Tale of Two Cities first (really good so far!) but after that we are just going to decide on book titles together. It's just so much fun to read books with other people!
ReplyDelete