Thursday, February 16, 2012

Book Review: A Tale of Two Cities

WOW!!! I just finished A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, and it is seriously one of the very best books (if not the best book) I have ever read. First of all, the way he writes is amazing! I love his critical analogies, and the way he makes fun of things through his descriptions. His character development is so thorough, for such a short book, and the background information was really interesting (although not everyone probably feels this way). But once I got about two thirds of the way through, I honestly could not put it down! I read the last 130 pages in one sitting (procrastinating folding laundry, grocery shopping, and making dinner for 3 hours) because it was so intense! I did not expect a classic by Dickens to be as riveting as a thriller.

It was as touching and inspiring as Les Miserables (except it's only 350 pages instead of 1100). I cried through the last three chapters and for at least 10 minutes afterwards. And the way he weaves the different stories together was incredible; at the end, you realize page after page that every little detail throughout the rest of the book was vitally important. Kind of like the 3rd and 7th Harry Potter books. :)

Anyway, I just had to tell the world: this book is amazing!! I had no idea what it was even about when I started, apart from being set during the French Revolution. But it is my new favorite book! No wonder it's sold twice as many copies as the next best-selling novel in history! Why did I somehow expect it to be boring? If 200 million people have read it, I should have known it would be worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read it yet, but Christopher tears up nearly every time he talks about it. It's definitely on my to-read shelf.

    ReplyDelete