I never liked eggplant. So I was hesitant to try this recipe. But I set a goal to try new recipes, even if I don't like some of the ingredients or have never heard of them. So I tried it, and it is SOOO good!! Every time I buy the eggplant, I think "this can't really be that good. I don't even like eggplant." And every time I ama amazed at how yummy it is!
Ingredients:
1 medium eggplant
3 large tomatoes
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
4 garlic cloves
1 cup oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp kalonji (nigella) seeds (I have omitted this sometimes and it's still just as good)
1 Tbsp coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 cups basmati rice
Put the rice on to cook.
Slice the eggplant in half and slice into wedges. Put them in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes so the bitter juices can be drawn out.
Boil water in a medium saucepan, score a cross in the top of each tomato and plunge in boiling water for ONLY 20 seconds. Drain and peel. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Mix 1/3 tomato, garlic, and ginger in a food processor or blender.
Rinse eggplant and dry with paper towels (don't omit this or the water will splatter in the pan).
Heat 1/2 cup oil on medium in a large, deep frying pan and add half the eggplant in a single layer. Cook until brown, then turn over (you can add a little more oil if needed). Transfer to a plate with paper towels to drain. Add remaining oil and cook the rest of the eggplant, remove.
Add fennel and kalonji to the oil left in the pan. Cover and allow to pop for a few seconds. Add tomato and ginger and other ingredients except eggplant. Cook, stirring until it is thick and smooth (be careful!). Add eggplant, then cover and cook several more minutes. Serve hot over cooked rice and enjoy!
(Adapted from the recipe in A Little Taste of India cookbook).
No comments:
Post a Comment